Friday, June 17, 2005

Cinderella Story - Jason Gore tied for the Lead



No one else in the household wanted to get up early, so I arrived at the course at 7:10am and headed to my favorite spot on the course. My favorite spot is the bleachers next to five green. From the upper right corner, you can see the approach shot and the green of both 3 and 5. You can see the entire shot of 6 and watch the putts with binoculars if desired. You can also see the drive on 4, and if you are in the top row, you can see where it lands. This spot ranks just behind being at 18 on Sunday or in the bleachers behind 17, but these stands are much less crowded.

I was able to watch 22 of the 26 groups in the morning come through. I missed a few while making a phone call to see what the girls were up to and decided to go home at noon to spend some time with the girls so my wife could go shopping in Pinehurst.

Upon arriving, I saw the USGA cut the pin on 5. They were looking at the upper left corner when they arrived, but decided on middle right. I’m guessing upper left will be Saturday’s pin placement. On 3, the pin was tucked in the front right, near 2 bunkers. The first group through, Ogilvie, Armour, and Hedblom, performed average on 3. All 3 drives were in the fairway on 5 and all stuck shots within 10 feet, great shots. Only 1 of the group made the birdie putt. We thought the USGA messed up and made too easy of a pin placement.

Subsequent groups were not as lucky. To hold the green, you almost always needed to be in the fairway. Those in the rough either came up short, or hit hot balls over the green into the swale around the green. The shots needed to land in a 10 foot circle it seemed. Past the circle and the ball went over, even from a shot from the fairway. In front of the circle, the ball would roll off the green, even a decent looking shot, to the dismay of many players.

The bad holes tend to stick in my mind, twice on 5 and twice on 4. On 5, the first is the play of Miguel Angel Jimenez. He hit into the rough on his drive and then hit is approach in the bunker far in front of the green. His third shot hit the front of the and rolled in the bunker. His next shot hit the green and I think he then 2 putted for a 6. Frank Lickliter was in the front bunker after hitting the green (I think). He then pulled a shot any one of us could pull, the hit a flyer out of the bunker, 40 feet over the green onto the pedestrian trail between 3 and 5. He did put his next on the green and either 1 or 2 putted.

On 3, Angel Cabrera was the first person I saw all week who actually hit the green with his drive. He was 50 feet or so from the pin. His first put was extremely short and he missed the birdie putt and had to settle for a par. The next was Sal Spallone, who sold his sponsorship for the tournament on eBay. His 2nd shot on 3 went into the front bunker, but just barely. He could not get a club on the ball and advance it to the hole, so hit sideways to the fairway, but hit it too hard and went into the deep rough. His next shot was also too strong and he ended up into the trap behind the pin. He then put a decent bunker shot up, but missed the putt and 2 putted for a 7. I did see John Daly make a nice putt on 3, but then miss his third consecutive birdie on 5. I then saw him just miss again on 6. He is playing well, just not well enough. He will play with Phil Mickelson on Sunday, and interesting pairing. I then went home at noon.

About 4:30, my daughter and father in law went and went to my favorite spot. We were practically the only people in the bleachers, so we could get the top corner seats. We just missed Retief Goosen’s group, but were able to see Jason Gore come by 5. It was great to see a Cinderella story on top of the leader board. I wish him all the luck in the world over the weekend. There was at least 1 or 2 people in the last 5 lonely groups who had the chance to make the cut. Very few people were around and I think they appreciated our clapping. Eric Meichtry, who ended up missing the cut, handed a ball up to a young fan in the bleachers, a very nice act.

Many people prefer to follow their favorite player, but I like to watch the players come to me. My wife and I will spend the day together on Saturday and I think we’ll visit several different sets of bleachers and see who arrives. I’d like to get behind 17, but I’m sure it will be packed most of the day. The play starts at 8:10am and since 83 made the cut, the last group will not tee off until 3pm, making for a very long day. Have a great weekend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home